MINISTRY OF EDUCATION AND TRAINING
THE SAIGON INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence Ė Freedom Ė Happiness
Regarding admission and management of international transfer students
the Saigon International University
(Promulgated in conjunction with Decision no. 70/QĐ-SIU dated March 12, 2021 by the Chancellor of the Saigon International University)
Article 1. Scope
This regulation pertains to the admission of undergraduate international transfer students (InS) at the Saigon International University (SIU) and the acceptance of transferred credits accumulated in the previous studies to the new full-time SIU program the InSs have applied for.
Article 2. Subjects to regulation
The regulation applies to the two following types of InS:
1. Type 1: A non-Vietnamese citizen studying at a foreign institution applying for transfer to the Saigon International University.
2. Type 2: A Vietnamese citizen studying at a foreign institution applying for transfer to the Saigon International University.
Article 3. Terms and conditions of approval
1. InS transferring to an undergraduate program at SIU shall submit full application either in Vietnamese or in English;
2. InS applying for study, research, internship in other language(s) applicable at SIU shall meet the criteria pertaining to proficiency of such language(s) as specified for relevant program;
3. InS shall demonstrate a clean criminal record and good legal standing in their current country as well as in Vietnam;
4. InS shall meet the health conditions suitable for continued study at SIU;
5. InS wishes to apply for (a) program(s) at SIU.
Article 4. Transfer documentation:
a) Transfer application (following the provided form);
b) Copy of high school diploma or equivalent; notarized copy of the diploma or equivalents and their translations (to be submitted when the InS comes to Vietnam);
c) School transcript(s) or school report(s) for high school or equivalents; notarized or certified (by a trusted authority) copy of such transcript(s)/report(s)/equivalents (to be subnitted when the InS comes to Vietnam);
d) Academic transcript of credits accumulated at the foreign institution; notarized or certified (by a trusted authority) copy of such transcript (to be subnitted when the IS comes to Vietnam)
e) Letter of Confirmation for international transfer student directly provided to SIU via †firstname.lastname@example.org by the InSís current institution;
f) Proof of exemption from Vietnamese or foreign language proficiency test; certificate of Vietnamese or foreign language proficiency awarded by verified authority (if any) should InS wish to transfer to a Vietnamese program at SIU (only applicable to non-Vietnamese citizens);
g) Health certificate by verified foreign-based or Vietnam-based health institution (within 6 months to the date of admission);
h) Copy of relevant diploma(s) and/or certificate(s) (if any);
i) Recommendation letter by current institution and/or workplace (if any);
j) Copy of the passport with validity covering the span of the InSí study in Vietnam or at least 01 year from the date of expected arrival in Vietnam;
k) Proof of application fee payment (if any);
l) 04 4◊6 photos (white background) taken no longer than 06 months before the date of application;
m) Other document(s) as required by the admission (School) and the program.
Article 5. Review process
1. Phase 1 (Reception and review of admission)
Step 1. The InS follows †https://www.siu.edu.vn/tuyen-sinh-dai-hoc/international-students-transfer/form-transfer-application.aspx †††† †to fill in the online Transfer Application Form;
The Office of Admission & Student Affairs receives the InSí transfer application. Application may be either filled in by the InS or recommended by an institution/organization or by a department under SIU wishing to enroll the InS;
Step 2. The Office of Admission & Student Affairs begins the review process with reference to admission requirements of the Saigon International University applicable at the time of application;
Step 3. Should InS meet the requirements, the Office of Admission & Student Affairs shall forward the application to the Academic Office and the School that InS has applied to;
Step 4. The Academic Office works in conjunction with the School on pincipled review of InS admission and relays the decision to the Office of Admission & Student Affairs;
Step 5. The Office of Admission & Student Affairs informs the applicant/organization and relevant SIU department of the admission result.
Announcement on admission result must be issued no later than 01 week from the date the Office of Admission & Student Affairs receives the application.
2. Phase 2 (Review and acceptance of transferred credit results)
Step 1. Upon completing the school year at their current institution, InS shall submit the academic transcript/results and Credit Transfer Application Form (following the provided form) to the Office of Admission & Student Affairs; request their current institution to send a Letter of Confirmation directly to SIU via email@example.com;
Step 1. Upon completing the school year at their current institution, InS shall submit the academic transcript/results and letter of credit transfer (following the provided form) to the Office of Admission & Student Affairs firstname.lastname@example.org;
The Office of Admission & Student Affairs receives and forwards the application to the Academic Office for credit result transfer process;
Step 2. The Academic Office, together with the School that the InS has applied to as well as relevant School(s), sets up a Review Committee;
Based on the InSí application and current field of study, program, transcript, the Committee shall proceed accordingly with the transfer of credit result(s);
Step 3. The Committee forwards the transferred result(s) to the Academic Council for verification.
Step 4. Verified result(s) shall be forwarded to the Academic Office.
Step 5. The Academic Office proposes the case to the Chancellor for final decision on admission and credit transfer.
Step 6. The Office of Admission & Student Affairs informs the applicant/organization and relevant SIU department of the Decision of the Chancellor.
The Academic Office registers the information regarding the transferred credit(s) and result(s) of the InS to the Universityís academic management database.
Announcement on credit transfer result must be issued no later than 02 weeks from the date the Office of Admission and Student Affairs receives the letter of credit transfer.
Article 6. Alternative courses reserved for InS
1. InSs are exempt from meeting the standards for foreign language proficiency as applied to Vietnamese students studying the same program taught in Vietnamese.
The Chancellor of SIU may consider organizing advanced Vietnamese course(s) for InSs in place of foreign language course(s).
2. InSs are exempt from Military & Defense Education and may instead opt for: Advanced Vietnamese, Vietnamese Culture, Vietnam History, or other alternative courses as designated by the SIU Chancellor based on the actual conditions at SIU at the time.
Article 7. Acceptance of transferred academic results and credits
1. Credits accumulated at a different level of education, a different field of study or program, a different course or from a different institution shall all be accepted for review and transfer to relevant credits in the SIU program chosen.
2. The SIU Panel shall refer to program learning outcomes, learning content and amount, assessment methods, and quality assurance requirements at specific level(s) to make necessary comparison for:
a) Acceptance and transfer of credits per course(s);
b) Acceptance and transfer of credits per course group(s);
c) Acceptance and transfer of credits for the entire curriculum.
3. SIU makes public the acceptance of academic results and credit transfer. The maximum amount of transferred credits shall not exceed 50% the minimum amount of SIUís curriculum the InS has applied to.
Article 8. Conditions for result transfer
1. Accumulated course credit whose result is to be considered for acceptance and transfer shall meet the following criteria:
a) The course is part of the current SIUís full-time curriculum and the attained result is worth at least 4.0 (per 10-point grading scale) or D (per letter grading scale);
b) The course shares similar content and the number of credits/credit equivalents is equal to or greater than the current SIUís full-time curriculum.
2. The following course credits will not be considered for result transfer: Project(s), Internship Coursework / Graduation Internship Coursework / Graduation Coursework and other course credits not mentioned in Section 1, Article 8 of this regulation.
Article 9. Calculation of transferred credit results
1. Credit result(s) accepted to be transferred shall be calculated on the 10-point grading scale and subsequently converted to letter grading scale and 4-point grading scale;
2. Only the results recorded as accumulated in the academic transcript provided by the InSí previously studied institution are to be considered for transfer. Specifically:
a) For results recorded in letter grading scale or 4-point grading scale, the transferred result will be an average of the floor and ceiling point of the corresponding 10-point-grading-scale equivalent;
b) For any SIU course with content equivalent to multiple courses whose credits have all been accumulated and met the credit transfer conditions, the transferred result will be a weighted average of the recorded results.
c) For an optional course in SIU curriculum equivalent to one in a number of interchangeable courses whose credits have all been accumulated and met the credit transfer conditions, the transferred result will be the highest among the recorded results.
d) For transcript only noting the results without further information on number of units / credits / periods, InS must obtain a confirmation from their institution regarding the detailed number of units / credits / periods of each of the accumulated course.
e) For special cases, the Review Committee shall propose the case to the Chancellor for final decision.
Article 10. Implementation
1. Every year, the Chancellor signs a decision establishing a Review Committee with an aim to implementing the credit result transfer process;
2. The Academic Office is responsible for organizing, implementing, reporting and proposing the cases to the Chancellor for signing the final decision on credit result transfer; as well as handling tasks pertaining to review and acceptance of transferred results.
3. The Decision and the List of accepted transferred results are to be archived as per the current regulation.
Dr. Tran Xuan Dinh